Monday, October 5, 2009

Mini Meltdown Over the Stove

One of my favorite things to do is cook and I do it very well. My signature dish is Eggplant Parmesan. Everyone loves when I make this and I thoroughly enjoy the whole process. 

I always check the eggplants at Meijer's and when I find one I really like I get it for the opportunity to make a big Italian Meal. I saw tonights Eggplant last week on my regular grocery trip and found today to be the best day to make it. Sundays usually are because of the slower pace.

So I got out my Eggplant, Noodles, Sauce, Spices, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Spinach, Bread Crumbs, and Olive Oil.

I turned the heat up to 6 on the saute pan to get it hot for the oil and put a pot of water on another burner.

At this point I will let you know that we have a dreadfully God forsaken Electric stove! I hate the damn thing, it is never consistant. I have the hardest time using an electric stove and whoever it was in the 50's that thought electric stoves were going to be the best thing ever was wrong! That was probably GE, didn't they make the electric lawn mower? I digress. So, whenever I cook or bake, something always goes wrong. I can't tell how hot the burner is and 6 is too cool and 8 way too hot. I try to turn it down, but it takes a good 30 seconds to regulate (even if it does that). I am always boiling over pots, or my pan is not hot enough. As far as the oven part...there is a heating element at the top and the bottom of the oven, so there is no good place to put a cake, or cookies, or anything in there. I put the timer on for a cake and the top is burned and the whole thing over cooked in half the time it should have taken to cook it perfectly in a gas oven. So we started to turn the temp down and it works ok.

Ok so back to today, I was frying the breaded eggplant and it was taking forever on 6 and the too quick on 7. Ah, whatever! The noodles boiled fine and the sauce I made was great.

When I set the temp in the oven I was thinking Gas and put it at 450. That temp is perfect for melting the cheese and making it golden in 20 minutes. Oh no not in a damn electric oven. After 7 minetes, the cheese was burnt to a black crisp.

I was so pissed off. My favorite dish! I never screw up cooking and baking! It's Ruined! I hate this damn oven!

In my dissapointed and pissed off, unmedicated moment someone eating my meal made a very ungrateful and rude comment that sent me over the edge and he kept proding me. I flipped out and started to sob.

Nothing makes me more upset in my current life than that damn electric stove! Electric stove lovers, how do you do it? And can someone get my landlord to get my a gas stove, STAT! Or it'll be the death of me or some unsuspecting passerby!

No comments:

Post a Comment